Ministerial Responsibilities within the Treasury Portfolio
Minister for Financial Services and Superannuation
Assists the Treasurer in the development, implementation and administration of policies in the following areas:
- Financial markets conduct, disclosure, investor protection and supervision issues (excluding monetary and foreign exchange policy).
- Design, implementation and administration of legislation relating to markets, services and products including payday lending.
- Administration, and further development, of national consumer credit policy.
Prudential regulation and financial institutions
- Administration of the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA).
- Prudential regulation of banking, insurance and superannuation.
- Levies on financial institutions, cheques and bills of exchange.
Australia as a financial services hub
- Financial market linkages between Australia and overseas.
- Policy and administration including taxation and prudential regulation in relation to superannuation, and responsibility for the Australian Government Actuary.
- Consultation and implementation of the recommendations of the Cooper Review.
- Treasury portfolio aspects of:
- Problem gambling reform.